This soup is creamy, delicious and completely 100 percent vegan! It freezes really well so if you have time, make a little extra and keep it in the freezer for those busy days. This is a base for almost all of my soup recipes, so feel free to replace the butternut squash with other veggies like broccoli, asparagus or carrot.
1 butternut squash peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large yellow onion roughly chopped
2 minced cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
1 quart of vegetable broth
1. Cut and peel the butternut squash into 1 inch pieces and set aside.
2. Chop the large yellow onion and set aside.
3. Mince the two cloves of garlic and set aside.
4. In a large pot, heat the tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the minced garlic to the olive oil and let saute for 1-3 minutes until fragrant.
6. Add chopped onion to the pot and add the teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and cracked black pepper. Let saute for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
7. Add butternut squash to the pot and saute for a minute.
8. Add the quart of vegetable broth to the pot and raise the heat to medium-high.
9. Simmer the soup for 15-25 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
10. Turn off the heat and let the soup cool for about 5 minutes.
11. Blend soup in a blender until creamy and smooth.
* Blend the soup in small amounts to avoid getting burned. Because the soup is still warm / hot, heat expands so the soup will expand in the blender. If you add the soup to the top of the blender, hot soup will explode out of the blender!
* Put a towel or glove on top of the blender so you can save yourself from burning your hands.